To study the safety issues in full detail, check out the Consumer Product Safety Council (CPSC) and the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM).
Some important factors are:
- Kids should be six or older to use the top bunk, this is a recommendation by the CPSC.
- Guard rails must be present on both sides of the top bunk, even if the bed is pushed against the wall.
- The top of the top guard rail should be 5" or more above the top of the mattress. DO NOT USE pillow top mattresses with any of our bunk beds.
- All of MOM’S Bunk Beds are strongly constructed and all meet or exceed both ASTM and CPSC safety standard testing in labs.
- The mattress is to be supported by a bunkie board or a slat roll. A bunkie board is a flat covered board, about 1 1/2" thick which gives a flat surface to support the mattress. They are made from a wooden frame covered with a thin board and cloth, but are constructed in a way that will support plenty of weight. Our slat rolls also pass all safety standards.
- Allow at least 3 feet between the beds and between the top bunk and the ceiling.
- Never allow a child under 6 years on upper bunk.
- Only use mattress which is 74” - 75” long and 39 wide.
- Ensure thickness of mattress and foundation combined does not exceed 10”and mattress is at least 5” below upper edge of guardrails.
- Use guardrails on both sides of upper bunk.
- Prohibit horseplay on or under bed(s).
- Prohibit more than one person on the upper bunk.
- Use ladder for entering and leaving the upper bunk.
- Never attach or hang items to any part of the bunk bed that are not designed for use with the bed. For example, but not limited to, hooks, belts and jump ropes.
MOM’S Bunk House has several options available to choose from that can blend into your home’s decor. We offer solid wood components at a great value to our customers. We are able to pass along substantial savings to you because we are strictly an online store, without the overhead expenses of a showroom. All of our beds are in stock at a local warehouse, so any bed that you choose is ready to ship within two business days.
The majority of standard bunk beds are either Twin over Twin or Twin over Full sizes and many convert into separate beds, which gives flexibility later on as kids grow up. Make sure to measure your room (including your ceiling height) before purchasing your bunk bed to make sure it will fit nicely.
Choosing the finish/color goes along with choosing the style, it is completely up to your taste and other furniture. Many of our beds come in a variety of finishes, from a warm Honey, to the crisp look of pure White and Cappuccino or Espresso for a darker more modern effect. Be sure to visit our Chests and Dressers section for matching items.
If bunk beds aren’t your thing, don’t forget to look at our selection of regular twin and full size bed options.
Always a good idea to assemble the bed in the room where it is to reside,
it's nearly impossible to get a finished bunk bed through most doorways. Then check the provided assembly instructions to verify all parts are present. MOM’S Bunk House inspects every single piece from the manufacturer before it ships, but mistakes can happen. Contact us immediately if you notice instructions or hardware is missing.
Finally follow the instructions included with your hardware pack. Use two people when lifting and aligning the upper bunk, and in about an hour, your bunk bed should be ready. Make sure all screws are securely tightened and check again in a couple of weeks. Finally review the rules with your children and enjoy.
Thanks for visiting and please let us know if we can improve our services or answer any questions.